Friday 28th December 1984

What a day!

I got a lift to town (Cardiff) with Mum and Dad and arrived at about 8:45am. After buying a stamp and posting a letter * I rushed off to HMV. I was first in but I didn't see much in the sale that I wanted. I bought "Shout" by Tears For Fears.

Then on to the Tandy shop. They haven't got any mixers (not til February) so I take a catalogue.

Then on to Gamlins ** and I buy their last Casio VL-tone. Good fun it is too! ***

Then on to Spillers. I buy "Life's a scream" 12 inch by A Certain Ratio (fantastic!) and "Devil and darkness" 12 inch by Freur (weird)

I have got 11p left from £36.

Oh I met Rhiannon in Cardiff, and Melissa.

The b side to the Freur single is excellent. It's called "Jazz is King (?)" - including question mark and brackets - and once it gets going from a slow drum and synth and voice part, a piano enters and the singer starts singing "The In Crowd" and shouts "Thank you, Lamb Chop!" And it keeps on going. Fantastic! ****

------

Footnotes

* Was this my letter to Debbie? Quite possibly 

** Gamlins being the oldest musical instrument store in Cardiff on St Marys Street. It closed down about a month ago, I was in there recently and it felt so sad, I bought many pedals and instruments from there over the decades. 

*** What, this VL-Tone? Yes this one.

**** Lamb Chop here being the glove puppet lamb, Karl Hyde was singing in a pronounced lamb like voice before his exhortation to Shari Lewis's puppet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday 26th December 1984

Wednesday 28th November 1984

Monday 26th November 1984